Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/77/3927977/html/saywhenracing/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Mustang Rebuild of 2011
SayWhenRacing.com
May 13, 2021, 12:01:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Mustang Rebuild of 2011  (Read 62046 times)
Saywhen
Admin Moderator

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2011, 12:01:43 PM »

I know there have been several pondering minds wondering what was going to happen with the Mustang.  We've spent a period of time away from the car, as everybody knows.  We just spend a tremondous amount of time and effort into building this car for the 2011 season.  Which after the wreck left everyone clueless and frustrated about what took place.  Unfortunatly, because of this we needed to spend some time away from the car so we can reenergize our batteries. 

Needless to say, now we are starting to feel the itch again!  With that it is time to start a new topic on the rebuild of the Mustang.  As followed are pictures of the day we picked the car and motor home up from the track.   

Luckly, the entire car and safety featers within the car did their job.  Because of this we have to think Team-Z for the chassis that held up and NHRA for mandating all the safety requirements.  We all complain about having to purchase and wear the safety hardware, needless to say there is a reason for this equipment!

As a positive note, we leard a lot on what to look for when it comes to track prep.  Especially after an oil down, because of this we will be paying close attention to the traction on the track.  That way we can avoid any future incedents.

Jeff Jr. 
Saywhen
Admin Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 12:10:47 PM »

Seeing the chassis is not harmed and most of the damage was to the body, we ended up purchasing a used 1992 notch back Mustang out of Florida.  As followed was the arrival day of the new car.

Due to the new car being a roller, there was some work required to get it ready for sand blasting.  The car already had a six point cage, some of the dash, all the wiring harnmess, all the exterior trim, tail lights, carpet, windows all around, and some of the interior trim.  After stripping the car down, everything looks good in regards to any rust. 

In the near future, I will be posting up the rims & tires, 8.8 rear end, and stock fenders in the for sale section.  So if anybody is interested in these parts let me know. 

Jeff Jr.
Saywhen
Admin Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »

After all the hard work of stripping the car, now comes the truth on any hiden secrets behind the paint.  Everybody has experienced a snicky body mans hidden secrets.

Needless to say everything turned out good, there were some minor damage from prior accidents.  Fortunately the damage is fixable or on panels that don't matter. 

Now comes the challenging questions, that is what to do for the body panels.  At this time, it is undertermined what will be done for the front end and maybe for the doors.  Either way we need to determine what his happening so we can get the carbon fiber components on order soon.  Until then the new car will need to sit in the garage while we start the disassembly the wrecked car.   

Jeff Jr.
Saywhen
Admin Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »

The disassembly of the wreck car is extremely slow.  Seeing that everything is a struggle to remove, the cut off wheel is starting to become our best friend.  Luckly the more we disassembly, the more items we are finding that are good.  It appears that most of the damage was external to the car.  Hopefully this theory continues!

Currently, we are working on checking the rear end pieces.  We are starting the rebuild process with this piece first.

After reviewing the video footage and the damage, we were lucky that Chris was fast on the parachute handle.  Because of this it looks like there is no damage to the drivetrain other than the drive shaft and rear end.  If the parachute didn't come out before hitting the wall, we could have a significant amount of damage to the turbos and motor. 

Jeff Jr.
Gary Abbey

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 01:34:13 PM »

the damage is worse than i expected after only seeing a shoddy video of the wreck. Looks like you got a good foundation with the new one.GOOD LUCK to all of you and if i can help in anyway id love to.Gary
Saywhen
Admin Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »

It is a good thing I'm not an insuracne adjuster, if I had to estimate a cost after a wreck I would be out of business due to poor estimates.  After this experience there are several items that looked good but are broke or bent.  Then there are other items that looked like they would be damage but checked out alright.  I could never estimate a cost just within a couple of hours of viewing the damage.

Either way we are making progress the car is completely stripped.  Now we are working on removing the body from the chassis.  Seeing that we want to ensure the old body is in one piece that way we have a template for the new body.  We are talking our time cutting all the welds from the chassis.

With that we have a lot of parts on order.  Especially the components for putting the rear end back together along with brakes, I would image in the next day or two we will be ordering more parts that is after we do an inventory of what is needed.

On another note, we would like to thank Motor City Solutions on a sponsorship for the 2012 season.  Currently they are just getting into the market of making carbon fiber body parts, at this time they are specializing in vacum forming of their components.  Because of this additional process, their products are the strogest within the after market.  Their primary focus is on the Mustang compoennts, however they are just starting to develop other models for the Camaro group as well.  Due to the strength and the highest quality, they have a product that will make them the number one vendor when it comes to after market body parts.  Just to prove their point, below is a picture that most vendors would never attempt with their hoods.

Thanks Motor City Solutions.

http://motorcitysolutions.com/index.html

Jeff Jr.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 01:20:21 PM by Saywhen » Logged
Saywhen
Admin Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 01:19:11 PM »

More progress of the work that is happening this weekend.  As you guys will see the body is off the chassis, for the most part the chassis is ready for the new body.  Other than a couple of items that need to be cleaned up.  For instance the existing rockers need to be removed and there are a couple of existing tubes that need to be cleaned up before remounting the new body.

All I can say is when it is close to time to install the new body, I buying pizza and beer that way the lifting becomes easier.   Grin

Luckily we didn't have to hack appart the damaged body, at least this way we have a way to reference dimensions for the new setup.  Plus hopefully there will be some slight improvements on the new set-up.

Kirt70camaro

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »

Just "SAYWHEN" lol
Saywhen
Admin Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 02:07:50 AM »

Have you been drinking?
Kirt70camaro

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 05:50:19 PM »

Not as much as I will be that day Grin.... Will be in Grand Bend next weekend so don't pick that weekend.
FIRST ONE

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 06:27:40 PM »

Keep up the good work, car is coming along nicely. 
joemalibu78

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 05:05:31 PM »

glad to see things are going well, I wish i was that motivatedyou guys do awesome work. hope to see you out in 2012
joe68

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 01:03:11 PM »

Wow you guys dont mess around. Great job and glad to see you guys are back at it.
Saywhen
Admin Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 02:05:38 AM »

Thanks guys.
Saywhen
Admin Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »

Parts are starting to arrive, because of this the rear end is back together other than the brakes.  Which will be installed later.  As you guys can see we are starting to make the new wishbone for the rearend and shortly after we will be making the new control arm that was damage. 

Along with that we have the new wheel tubes they are waiting their turn to be fitted to the car.  Hopefully soon we will be determining the rims and will be getting those on order as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: